THE OLD RECTORY, LIME PARK
The Old Rectory was occupied by the Church until around 1985, when it changed hands three times in quick succession. It has been occupied by Mr and Mrs Peter Townley since about 1986, when they retired to the area and renamed the building, adding the word "Old". The buildings are in exceptional condition as the photographs below indicate. They are now the subject of a planning application, which will have the effect of creating two dwellings, where at the moment there is only one. This could lead to parking and additional noise issues within the Park, so destroying the local amenity - especially concerning adjacent properties. Lime Park is predominantly famous for the Generating Works built by the Baron de Roemer and Augustus Hare who lived in Lime House from 1835 to 1860..
The Old Rectory - facing into the Park, unspoiled
Application Number: WD/2007/1331/F
Planning Application Type: Full
Date Received: 25/05/2007
Expiry Date: 20/07/2007
Location: THE OLD RECTORY, LIME PARK, HERSTMONCEUX, BN27 1RF.
Proposal: PROPOSED CONVERSION OF EXISTING BUILDINGS AND ADDITION TO FORM RESIDENTIAL RETIREMENT COTTAGE (ANNEXE).
National Grid Reference:563671, 112214
Current Status: Consultations in Progress - What does Current Status mean ?
Consultation Expiry Date: 22/06/2007
Committee or Delegated Date:
Case Officer: Mr D Whibley - DPO Ian Kay
Applicant's Name: Mr & Mrs P Townley
Applicant's Address: The Old Rectory Lime Park Herstmonceux East Sussex BN27 1RF
Agent's Name: Peter G V Kenward FCIOB
Agent's Address: West End House West End Herstmonceux East Sussex BN27 4NL
The Old Rectory - aerial view, unspoiled
District Planning Officer
Sussex TN6 1DH
18 June 2007
Dear Sir or Madam:
We write with reference to the above application and the previous application for a similar change of use with alterations, made by Mr and Mrs Townley, which was withdrawn.
This application is in respect of a turn of the century stables, which use changed in about 1948, to use as a Rectory by the Church. The building is outside the village framework and in a secluded park, for which restrictive country policies apply, except where there are agricultural or other exceptions. The Local Plan requires that applicants for development in the countryside will need to show good reason why the particular proposal should be located here, or that there is an overriding need for the development.
The present owners are a retired couple occupying the buildings for many years and not applying for any changes of use when purchasing the property in 1986. The buildings have been adequate as accommodation, without the need for alterations or a change of use for them and other occupiers over the years.
We respectfully submit that none of the above criteria have been met which would justify the proposal. As far as we can determine, there are no special considerations which would validate this kind of development in this rural location. Here, we should like to draw your attention to the decision letter of Raymond Michael dated 22nd October 1997 and please see Paragraph 66.
congestion – Unacceptable traffic conditions:
The owners have already tried to change the use of part of their garden fronting onto the shared drive, to a car park without planning permission, which use has been contested to prevent regularisation, since it hampers effective enjoyment of the drive and is an ongoing issue. The problem being that there is limited space in the Park for guests parking, before passage is impeded, with one eye on the East Sussex Act, as to access issues in emergencies. There was in fact a fire in Lime Park a few years ago, where the Fire Brigade were in attendance. Consequently, the applicants would need to provide additional parking facilities on their land, such as not to erode any rights already granted by way of shared access, and here is the nub of the existing car park issue. See Paragraphs 58, 59 and 63 of the decision letter, where this principle is established – WD/95/2284 – T/APP/C1435/A/96/265962/P2.
In addition, the present owners have deliberately allowed Leylandii shrubs to grow out of control, in nuisance neighbour fashion and contrary to High Hedge legislation, about which we may need to come back to you as to enforcement, separately and at a later date.
Status – English Heritage Application 161759
In this case special consideration should properly be given when determining the proposal, since English Heritage have given an application for listing reference number 161759. The Old Rectory is mentioned in an Affidavit by a former gardener named Ron Saunders, as being used in conjunction with The Old Steam House, which is itself on a Monument Protection Programme. East Lodge is already a listed building. Hence the area is already accepted as being of considerable local historic interest, apart from any that may be accorded by the state.
It is our understanding that the special interest of this site encompasses the use of the estate in the context of the early electrical generating industry, examples of which are Rudyard Kipling’s ‘Batemans’ and Battersea power station, at opposing ends of the scale. It seems that the former owners of the Park, generated electricity for the whole village, about which significant evidence exists.
Should the Rectory become listed in the near future, then it may be any permission that might be granted in between would not be implementable, hence become the cause of confusion and or claims by the applicant, where formerly PPG16 and other government Circulars advise that local authorities should consult with the County Archaeologist in the first instance, then English Heritage if there are any questions as to archaeological value. Where we have advised a listing application is in progress, it might therefore be prudent to defer determination of the application for reports to be obtained.
As and when the application and/or reports are in a condition for a balanced decision to be made, we may wish to be heard, and would ask you to please bear this in mind and keep us informed as to developments.
We look forward to hearing from you accordingly and if we can be of any further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.
HX Electricity Restoration Co Ltd
The Old Rectory - East elevation, unspoiled
Herstmonceux Electricity Generating Works Circa. 1900 - 1936 Links:
Thirst for Life
330ml Planet Earth can - the World in Your Hands
This website is Copyright © 1999 & 2012 Electrick Publications. The bird logos and name Solar Navigator are trademarks.
All rights reserved. Max Energy Limited is an educational charity working for world peace.