SHOWING GENERAL LAYOUT OF MACHINERY AND SERVICE
was delivered across the field (now owned by the Watson
family) between the village and Lime Park, from an
entrance off Gardner Street – now part of the A271.
The right of way is written in an old Deed. What is not yet clear, is how the coal was transported from
the bunker, across the courtyard to the boiler furnace,
or indeed, precisely where the boiler was located.
acids and other consumables were delivered via the
entrance to Lime Park in Church Road, past East Lodge.
Gently sloping service ramps will have allowed
heavy batteries to be wheeled about on trolleys. Conventional steps would not have been practical.
The Battery Store also having a gently sloping
floor, leading to an internal drain.
This was so acid spills during servicing
operations could be quickly hosed away.
building complex developed over the years into a
functional and well thought out unit to offer continuous
dc electricity supplies to the small village of
Herstmonceux, far ahead of its time. The supply of
electricity brought such luxury as cinema to the village
before some towns. The old cinema building next to
the Fire Station, is now used as a Masonic Lodge.
Originally, Herstmonceux's Fire Station was in Church
Electricity Generating Works Circa. 1900 - 1936
Room | Floor
Plan | Ron
Park | Machinery
House | Argus
Supply | Roof
Construction | Rural
Supply | Sussex
Express 1913 |
Sussex CC | English
Heritage | SIAS
of Herstmonceux by Margaret Pollard