WINDMILL HILL RESTORATION

 

HOME | BIOLOGY | FILMS | GEOGRAPHY | HISTORY | INDEX | INVESTORS | MUSIC | SOLAR BOATS | SPORT

 

 

 

The Windmill Hill Windmill Trust has been set up to restore the windmill at Windmill Hill to full working order. The windmill is an important example of our industrial heritage, and no attempt has been made to restore it before, hence it is in its original state. The mill is to be restored to its original condition, and then used as a working educational facility.

 

 

 

The Windmill partly restored

 

 

A windmill was built probably at the beginning of the 1600's to provide flour for the iron foundry workers at Warbleton and Ashburnham . The first reference to the mill was on a map of Sussex from 1783.

 

 

 

The Windmill head to the wind

 

 

In December 2001, the Heritage Lottery Fund contributed 577,000 towards the restoration. "The windmill has now been dismantled and taken to the millwrights' for repair. Photographs of the roof coming off are now on the website."

 

To see ukvillages.co.uk's webpage on the Windmill Hill Windmill, CLICK HERE

 

 

 

 

The Windmill brick base

 

 

In 1814 the old mill which was owned by John Pocock was demolished and replaced by the current windmill which is one of the largest post mills in Sussex, and possibly throughout Britain.

In 1894 the sails were removed, and a steam engine was installed by Neves of Warbleton to provide power.

 

 

Rear entrance restored




In 1913 the mill ceased to mill corn, but was left as a landmark for shipping in the channel to use.

The Mill was bought by Paul and Bee Frost in 1993, since then they have set up the charity to restore the mill, and completed the first phase, which was to roof over and scaffold the mill so that a survey of restoration requirements can be made.  Since then the mill head has been removed, refurbished and replaced as you can see from these photographs taken in April 2005 by Nelson Kruschandl.

 

If you would like to help in any way, please ring Bee Frost on (01323)-833033

Windmill Hill Windmill Trust is a Registered Charity No. 1054504

 

 

 

Windmill sail yoke

 


The old Bakery
Windmill Hill
Herstmonceux
Hailsham
East Sussex
BN27 4RT

phone (01323)-833033
fax (01323)-833744

 

 

LINKS TO PARISH WEBSITE:

 

brief history of Herstmonceux
Herstmonceux Parish
- vignettes from  Parish Council minutes
the name "Herstmonceux"
the Hundred of Foxearle
Herstmonceux Castle
History of Herstmonceux Castle
The Royal Greenwich Observatory at Herstmonceux
Herstmonceux Castle today
The Science Centre & Discovery Park
The Isaac Newton Observatory Trust plans

Herstmonceux CE Primary School
All Saints Church
Cowbeech village: history & environment
Gardner Street
small houses and cottages
The Met Office in Herstmonceux
village conservation area & South East in Bloom Competition
Sussex trug baskets
the Steam House (Lime Park)

Wealden Local Plan 1998 for Herstmonceux
population of the Parish
listed buildings in the Parish
protected trees in the Parish
19th Century Photographs

Windmill Hill
The Windmill Hill Windmill
The Allfree School

more about Herstmonceux history & environment
Herstmonceux & Wartling Research Group

Varengeville-sur-Mer (Normandy)

 

 

 

WINDMILL LINKS | WIND TURBINES | SUSSEX WINDMILL RESTORATION

 

 

 


 

 

Another building of considerable historic interest just 900 yards west of the windmill above is the last surviving early generating station in the country.  Please use the links below to read the story of this unusual building in Lime Park, just outside the village of Herstmonceux.  As in the struggle to get the windmill restored, a non profit making charity has been formed to head up much needed restoration works.

 

Herstmonceux Electricity Generating Works Circa. 1900 - 1936   Links:

 

Introduction  |  Instructions  |  ISBN  |  Batteries  |  Boiler Room   |  Floor Plan  |  Ron Saunders

 

Industrial Revolution  |   Lime Park  |  Machinery  |  Map  |  Power House  |  Argus 1999

 

Public Supply Roof Construction  |  Rural SupplySussex Express 1913  |  Conclusion

 

Archaeology South East   |   East Sussex CC  |  English HeritageSIAS  |  Sx Exp 1999

 

 


 

 

 

This website is Copyright 1999 & 2006  NJK.   The bird logo and name Solar Navigator are trademarks. All rights reserved.  All other trademarks are hereby acknowledged.       Max Energy Limited is an educational charity.

 AUTOMOTIVE  |  BLUEBIRD  |  ELECTRIC CARS  |  ELECTRIC CYCLES  |  SOLAR CARS