Northern loft above power house




The generating buildings were; unusually for a coal-fired installation, constructed in timber, thought to be of an imported  Redwood variety.  The building is double gabled using a three-layer roof system, consistent with the period: truss, purlins and rafters.  According to Ron Saunders, the building was lined inside and out with timber boarding.  It has not been substantiated, but is widely believed that the building originally had a slate roof. 






Hatch open showing tin covering




When electricity generation ceased in 1936, the building was covered in corrugated iron as a fire precaution, which may explain it survival of the hostilities.  Presumably due to wartime shortages, some timbers were stripped, leaving areas with just a bare wood framework.  This may have been in connection with its role a makeshift hospital for wounded airmen.






Hatch closed



The quality of the timber joinery and internal lining, wherever extant, is far higher than would be expected in an industrial building.  There are mouldings and architrave on the frames and in corners even where one may not have appreciated the craftsmanship.  





Herstmonceux Electricity Generating Works Circa. 1900 - 1936



Introduction  |  Instructions  |  ISBN  |  Batteries  |  Boiler Room   |  Floor Plan  |  Ron Saunders


Industrial Revolution  |   Lime Park  |  Machinery  |  Map  |  Power House  |  Argus 1999


Public Supply  |  Roof Construction  |  Rural SupplySussex Express 1913  |  Conclusion


Archaeology South East   |   East Sussex CC  |  English HeritageSIAS  |  Sx Exp 1999


Memories of Herstmonceux by Margaret Pollard






This website is Copyright 1999 & 2023. All rights reserved.  All other trademarks are hereby acknowledged. 

Max Energy Limited is an environmental educational charity.